Saturday, December 3, 2011

Who Doesn't Love A Homemade Gift

Who doesn't love a homemade gift? OK so maybe some people would prefer a gift card, but to me homemade gifts are special! I love receiving a gift knowing that someone took the time and effort to think of me.

I know many of you are like me and are on a tight budget for Christmas. You not only have your families to think of but you also have your kid's teachers, your friends and coworkers. If you have a tight budget this Christmas, a homemade gift is a perfect solution. You are not only saving money, you are also giving a gift that someone will cherish for years to come.

Finding things that inspire you is the first step in creating a homemade gift. Find inspiration on your favorite websites or in magazines. Look at these sites and find something that sparks your interest. I love looking at something and saying "I can do that".

As I was looking at one of my favorite shops online I found these mason jar snow globes. Not only are these little beauties totally cute, but they are also very easy to make. On the stores website they are anywhere from $25-$38. I am going to show you how to make them for under $8.

The first thing you will need is some cute little knick-knacks. I found these adorable glitter ornaments and glitter trees in the Christmas section of Walmart for under $2 each.


Other Things You'll Need:
. Mason Jars - I got many different sizes of mason jars at Hobby Lobby for 50% off
. Fake Snow - Dollar Tree
. Glue Sicks - Dollar Tree

Take your knick-knacks and hot glue them to the lid of your mason jar.


Next take your fake snow and put a thin layer on the bottom of the jar


Take your lid with the hot glued knick-knacks and screw it onto the top of your jar.


Turn your jar upside down, shake well and...viola! You have a mason jar snow globe that costs you less than $8 to make.


Here are some other snow globes I made with knick-knacks from Wal-Mart. These globes make great gifts for your friends and family and every time they pull them out to decorate for Christmas they will think of you!


I hope you found some creative inspiration in this post. Next time you see something you love in one of your favorite magazines or websites don't be afraid to recreate it. You never know, it might turn out better then you could have ever imagined!

Enjoy!


2 comments: